Saturday, June 28, 2008

6/28 - Saturday - HAIL!!

I saw threatening clouds and dragged our group off Baldy. Not everybody wanted to leave but as we walked along the ridge we realized that anybody still up there would become lightning rods.

Just as we got back below the tree line, the hail storm hit! Yuck. Chris got hypothermia from sitting in the lightning position for such a long time twice. We wrapped Chris in a space blanket but he still shivered uncontrollably. Jonus and August ran down the OA trail with Chris and I tried to keep up. Danny was close behind me. Danny's hands were cold so I gave him my gloves. The hail was 3/4 inch deep and it looked like it just snowed. We were all very cold walking down hill faster than I every have helped warm me up. I went to the French Henry trading post to try to buy new rain gear that is water PROOF not water RESISTANT. All they had was some poncho thing and boy was it heavy. I'll do with out. My fleece made all the difference.

No comments: