Sunday, June 29, 2008

6/29 - Sunday

Chris is Navigator and I am "Nagger". The nagger's job is to call for frequent map and compass checks to help prevent getting off the groomed trail and prevent further bushwacking. Doing better today. After yesterday's bushwack back to the trail, we are a much stronger crew. Met Kent, Neil, Pat and Ron who are advisors from 622-H2. Kent has a starbucks coffee bag and a jetboil coffee press. I had a half-strength cup. Today, we hiked up from Miranda to Head of Dean. We will do yesterday's thorns and roses at Lunch today. I dried my wet stuff on the rocks while we drank coffee and talked. They (1029) are doing the orienteering merit badge here. I would like to do it with our boys but Richard and Jeff will not shut up long enough for me to teach anything to the boys. Every time I want to stop and look at the map they say we are taking too much time with map reading.

Even without practicing proper map techniques, our luck held out and our hike from Miranda to Head of Dean was a wonderful hike. We are at Head of Dean at 8757 feet. Slept wonderfully last night. Gentle rain all night long.

Really steep coming into camp. Didn't quite finish glorious mysteries. I hate the thought of leaving here. Beautiful views from behind our tents here at Black Jack. 12 miles today with a steep 600 foot climb at the end. Chris had ANOTHER nose bleed. Everybody is happy and the troubles of yesterday are forgotten.

No comments: