Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Tuesday 6/24

Found animal carcass on the way to Cottonwood. 36 deg 9 min / 105 deg west. Work detail today (conservation project). MUCH sweat. Tally Ho...

(...When it's time to hike, we yell Tally Ho and I have to stop writing.)

The carcass we found today was a fresh kill with fur still on the forlegs. There are mountain lions here. We heard one in Ponil Canyon. We are sleeping in Cottonwood Canyon. There are 3 does about 100 feet from my tent. They are not afraid of me. Here they can never be hunted. We saw orange flowers in the meados and the rock formations in each canyon are beautiful. This canyon is very narrow. I'm lying in my tent with my feet up. It feels so good. The sun is down and it is finally cool. Tomorrow we have a touch hike. 6 miles up the whole way. Today we worked our butts off building a trail. 3 hours then our hike. Brutal. It was HOT at 8am. I was beginning to worry about our crew. Hair tempers. Lots of criticism. Today it's better. Chris lost his water bottle into an 800 year old Indian ruin. Richard snapped at him before it even stopped falling. This guy really is wound a little too tight.

The bottom line is that I'm really enjoying this. The low impact camping rules are a pain but it's worth it to be here.

No comments: