Monday, June 30, 2008

6/30 - Monday

For me an incredibly bad day. What started out as a nice hike overwhelmed me. At Richard's suggestion, I asked the camp staff about taking a day of rest but that isn't how it is supposed to work here. No jeep rides to the next camp are allowed. Our crew is supposed to work it out. We only have 3 days of hiking left. To me it is not enough and too much. Not enough because I love the beauty of this place. Too much because of the wicked fast pace this crew keeps with no thought of a more reasonable pace that would allow everybody to really enjoy themselves. I convinced Richard to tone down his constant criticism of the kids but now that my strength is waning he has turned his criticism to me. I want to be able to minister to all people, but this jerk I don't care if I ever see him again.

We are at Harlan. Shotgun shooting. I wish I was in better shape and didn't need so much help, but I know there are dads here older than me who need even more help. With my hectic schedule leading up to Philmont, the preparation I did was really the best I could do. 60 flights of stairs with a pack seems like enough, only it has to be 120 flights to prepare for some of the days we have had here. I wish our juvenile crew would realize you can't do 100+ miles AND all the activities.

No comments: